This article describes how to get an iOS device into the supervised mode via the Apple Configurator.
To do so, you require an Apple Computer running Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 or Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9
The current “Apple Configurator 2” only runs on Mac OS X 10.11.1 or later
iOS 6 or higher
What To Do
Important: Setting a device into the supervised mode will result in a complete device reset including the deletion of personal data stored on the device.
If you have still installed the first version of Apple Configurator follow the steps below:
– Attach your iOS device to the Mac where you have installed the Apple Configurator
– Run the Apple Configurator. You have to prepare your device for the supervised mode first.
– In the header of the Configurator, click on the ‘Prepare’ button.
– In the appearing view switch the Supervision button to ‘On’.
– Configure everything else as required.
– When you are ready to prepare the device for supervision, click ‘Prepare’ on the bottom of the Configurator.
– Confirm the appearing message to continue with the process by clicking the ‘Apply’ button.
– The device will now be wiped and set up as a new iOS device.
– After the process went through successfully the device is in the supervised mode.
If you are starting with Apple Configurator 2, you have to follow these steps
– Download and install the Apple Configurator 2 on your Mac. The software is for free and can be downloaded via iTunes
– Attach your iOS device to the Mac where you have installed the Apple Configurator 2
– Run the Apple Configurator 2
– Within the “All devices” view mark the iOS device in question
– Once marked, click the “Prepare” button in the header
– From the “Configuration” drop down, select “Manual” and click “Next”
– Within the “Enroll in MDM Server” screen, select “Enroll in MDM” and click “Next”
– In the “Supervise Devices” view make sure the checkbox for “Supervise devices” is marked. Click “Next”
– At the “Assign to Organization” screen keep the “New organization” if you haven’t configured one yet and click “Next”
– Add your company details as necessary in the “Create an Organization” view and click “Next”
– If you don’t have a supervision identity yet, select “Generate a new supervision identity” and click “Next”
– Within the “Configure iOS Setup Assistant” view, select the steps you want to be presented to the user when setting up the device
– Once done, click the “Prepare” button.
– You will be asked to enter your password to make changes to your “Certificate Trust Settings”
– Enter your password and click “Update settings”
– The device will now be prepared and reset